BurmaNet News: February 3, 2001

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
        An on-line newspaper covering Burma
         February 3, 2001   Issue # 1726
______________ www.burmanet.org _______________

NOTED IN PASSING:  ?As there is weakness in distributing objective news
about Myanmar to the world, the false news reports of the western media
are flooding the world.?

Khin Nyunt.  See Xinhua: Myanmar Leader Calls for Extending News
Telecasting

INSIDE BURMA _______
*The Independent (UK): After decades of isolation, Burma prepares to
step into the unknown
*DVB: Veteran Burmese politician on Rangoon, National League for
Democracy talks
*Xinhua: Myanmar Leader Calls for Extending News Telecasting
*Irrawaddy: OSS Eager to Show New Face of Myanmar

REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL _______
*Bangkok Post: Burma being urged to end import ban
*Irrawaddy: NCUB Rejects NCGUB Transitional Plan

ECONOMY/BUSINESS _______
*Clean Clothes Campaign [Netherlands]: Bras Burn as Triumph Does
Business in Burma!
*Xinhua: Chinese Company Starts Building Dry-Dock for Myanmar

__________________ INSIDE BURMA ____________________

The Independent (UK): After decades of isolation, Burma prepares to step
into the unknown

In Foreign Parts: A new dawn comes up on the long and deceptive road
past Mandalay

By Calum MacLeod in Rangoon

As pariah nations go, Burma rather disappoints. My first acquaintance
with North Korea, its fellow outcast, had excited an almost reassuring
terror.

Pyongyang delivers George Orwell's 1984 nightmare of authoritarian
madness, a grey and regimented society watched by an all-knowing,
all-seeing Big Brother. Rangoon also boasts massive monuments to an
all-powerful being, but Buddha's shrines are much nicer than those to
Kim Il Sung. From the barefoot monks gathering alms to the fading
grandeur of colonial mansions, the Burmese capital lulls visitors with
the languid charms of South-east Asia.

Given the brutal reputation of its ruling junta, there is a
disconcerting lack of guns and uniforms in the streets. Burmese, clad
almost to a man in traditional longyi sarongs, are keen to engage
foreign travellers and quick to list the achievements from Britain's
many years in charge ? roads, railways and schools. But what of today's
regime?

"Government spies are everywhere," whisper my newfound friends, quickly
steering the conversation to safer ground such as the British football
that dominates Saturday night screens. "Did you see our 'Oscars'?" asks
a taxi driver, his tongue loosened by Mandalay rum. The Burmese film
world had just gathered for its annual back-slap. "Every winner thanked
the military." He spits in disgust. "But they don't thank from their
hearts."

The lies perfected by Burma's acting profession are repeated
countrywide. Most families harbour bitter grievances, but the choice is
clear ? bare your heart and go to jail, or learn to live with the junta.
Than, a tour guide in Rangoon, was reading philosophy when the
government shut all universities in 1996 to teach the students a lesson.
Like his classmates, Than had voted in 1990 for the democratic coalition
of Aung San Suu Kyi, and watched in despair as the regime ignored her
landslide victory. "It has been an illusion since then," he says. "Now
we can't trust anything the government says." The universities
eventually reopened, transplanted to distant suburbs to dampen thoughts
of protest, and Than got his degree.

Like many Burmese in the service sector, Than resents Suu Kyi's
high-minded call on foreigners to boycott her nation until the election
results are respected. "We need evolution not revolution," he says. "The
more people who come, the better. We need foreign investment and foreign
technology. We want to swim in the ocean again."

After decades of selfimposed isolation, the government says it is ready
to take the plunge. "I hope the international community will not force
us into a corner," said the Foreign Minister, U Win, in December. "We
can stay in the corner, but we don't want to." Burma's Asian neighbours
are prepared to embrace their awkward cousin, while the West demands
improvements to its atrocious human rights record.

Hopes have been raised by the generals who run Burma holding secret
talks with Aung San Suu Kyi, the embattled torchbearer for democracy,
confined to her house or city limits since 1990. A European delegation
met her this week, after the visit in January of a UN envoy. Like
Tibet's Dalai Lama, a fellow Nobel Peace Laureate, she remains a potent
symbol of an oppressed people, yet "The Lady" is hardly the regime's
only concern.

Bernard Pe-Win, a British businessman born in Burma, says: "The only way
to change the situation in this country is by engaging it." His Forum
club in Rangoon is a talking-shop for the city's small expatriate
community. "The military government is not as good as we would want them
to be, but they are a far cry from how they have been painted." He says
the West has little leverage to bring down the military government,
because resource-rich Burma can feed itself, and most other essentials
slip across the 1,362-mile border with China.

Some observers believe the international focus on Ms Suu Kyi serves the
government's aims, by denying support and negotiating space to Burma's
restless minority groups, victims of the worst human rights abuses. A
British oil executive in Rangoon says: "This place could be like the
Balkans." Burma's borderlands are home to rebel insurgents, drug
traffickers and a confusion of ethnic and religious agendas.

"I take trouble to hire Buddhists, Christians, Muslims and animists, and
they work well together. But left to themselves, they would just hire
their own kind. The 'do-gooders' call for democracy, but where will they
be when the trouble starts?"

DVB: Veteran Burmese politician on Rangoon, National League for
Democracy talks

A Burmese veteran politician, Thakin Thein Pe, has given an interview to
opposition radio, Democratic Voice of Burma, on the progress of the
current peace talks between State Peace and Development Council and the
National League for Democracy (NLD). Thakin Thein Pe said he thought
that the release from prison of NLD members showed that some progress
had been made and the arrival of an EU delegation would lead to further
success. However, he feared that the talks would disregard the NLD
victory at the May 1990 election. The following is the text of report by
Burmese opposition radio on 26 January

The SPDC [State Peace and Development Council] has released NLD
[National League for Democracy] Vice-Chairman U Tin Oo from Yemon
cantonment camp as well as all the NLD members arrested from Rangoon
central railway station yesterday. Although some say the release shows
progress in SPDC-Daw Aung San Suu Kyi talks there are some who are still
adopting a wait-and-see attitude. Veteran Burmese politicians led by
Bohmu Aung, a member of the 30 Burmese Comrades who fought for Burma's
independence, have constantly urged for a dialogue between the SPDC and
NLD. DVB [Democratic Voice of Burma] interviewed veteran politician
Thakin [Burmese title meaning master] Thein Pe, one of the veteran
politicians who have persistently urged for a dialogue between the SPDC
and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. Ko Moe Aye conducted the interview.

[Ko Moe Aye] As far as we know U Tin Oo has been sent back to his home
from Yemon cantonment camp yesterday. Furthermore all the NLD members
arrested at Rangoon central railway station were also released. What is
your view on that?
[Thakin Thein Pe] We think the release shows gradual progress in the
talks. We feel the situation will improve further when the EU delegation
arrives. Another thing for consideration is the UN will be holding its
meeting in March so we think things will be wrapped up by then.

[Ko Moe Aye] What we want to know is do you all hope to see a quick and
smooth result emerging from the outcome of the talks between Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi and the SPDC?

[Thakin Thein Pe] Well, for a quick result, the best thing is according
to the Thuwanna Tharma story [from Buddhist teachings]. All concerned
should talk openly with honesty and asseverate the truth, then we shall
all see the result which we hope for. We believe if they say the truth
and discuss it then there will be success and real progress. What we see
now is that since the people from the outside do not know what is really
happening they seem to be very anxious. They think this will also be
prolonged like the former meetings.

[Ko Moe Aye] Then, is there anything that you are also worried and
concerned about?
[Thakin Thein Pe] The one thing we ask is the convening of parliament.
Well, they might not convene it but it might be done in a different way
[sentence as received]. We are worried about that because it might
differ from what the world has come to accept now. Gen Saw Maung [late
chairman of the State Law and Order Restoration Council] held the
election. He said it very distinctly in his speech, a very good speech,
that the Defence Services will hold the election. He said that he will
form a government with the election winners and they themselves will
return to the military barracks. Well, to disregard this election and to
do another one similar will not be right. It will mean total disregard
to the one that organized it. That election was recognized by the UN and
everyone in Burma understood that it was free and fair. They all know
that. That is why we ask for the convening of the people's assembly.
Only that assembly will be the people's assembly. As I mentioned before,
that assembly will have the right to promulgate the amnesty law, the
constitution and to hold future elections. We all have that desire and
we feel that is perfectly legal.

[Ko Moe Aye] What you are afraid of is that they might disregard the May
1990 election result and continue discussing other topics. Do you mean
that?
[Thakin Thein Pe] The election was done legally and Gen Saw Maung
himself claimed that it was also free and fair. Furthermore, he also
said he will transfer power. But when the time came power was not
transferred. The UN also said Burma's election was free and fair. We
need to ask why the parliament elected by the people was not recognized?
Why do they want to hold a new election? If they really want [to convene
an assembly] please do it with the original election result. What needs
to be discussed is that a new election will be held soon. The reason is
if they hold an election now, they will have to write a new
constitution. Moreover, if the election is held only for a constituent
assembly then I wonder how long will it take for a legal government to
emerge. We are worried about that too.

[Ko Moe Aye] Some are saying that although the SPDC and Daw Suu are
holding secret talks, nothing is known and they do not know what stage
the talks are in. What is your opinion?
[Thakin Thein Pe] We are also not satisfied with today's uncertain
situation. There are so many diverse comments that we are afraid we
might even become crazy and might not know what really happen. What we
wish to happen is to reconcile and to recognize the election where the
people have given their mandate, to recognize the 1947 constitution and
to append and amend that constitution as needed. As soon as these are
done then grant general amnesty. The country will then be reconciled and
the situation will return to normal. After that hold new elections and
we believe the country will be revitalized.

[Ko Moe Aye] Another thing. The SPDC has said that they will not be
publishing any slanderous articles and writings against Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi in the SPDC newspapers. This shows their softening stance and some
NLD members agreed. What is your opinion on that?

[Thakin Thein Pe] What we think is there is progress but we are unable
to guess how the final result is going to be. Everyone should do his
duty. Our chairman Bohmu Aung said Daw Suu is Gen Aung San's daughter
and the army is Gen Aung San's sons so there is no need for brothers and
sister to fight. He also said if the people wearing trousers [military
personnel] want to do politics - the politics they are doing right now
is not appropriate - and if they want to become politicians they should
get rid of the trousers and wear a longyi [sarong - become civilians]
instead. We would also like to add our suggestions, if they want to
engage in discipline-flourishing democracy they should declare a
discipline-flourishing democracy party and enter the election. Other
interested people should also get the approval and enter the election as
well. Then the real answer to democracy will emerge. Let me say that
only.

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1245 gmt 26 Jan 01

Xinhua: Myanmar Leader Calls for Extending News Telecasting

YANGON, February 3 (Xinhua) -- Myanmar leader Lieutenant- General Khin
Nyunt has called for extending news telecasting and broadcasting of
other programs so as to widely carry the true and genuine news
concerning Myanmar to the countries over the world. Khin Nyunt, first
secretary of the Myanmar State Peace and Development Council, made the
call here on Friday at a coordination meeting on extension of news
telecasting and other programs of the state-run Myanmar Radio and
Television, official newspaper The New Light of Myanmar reported
Saturday. "As there is weakness in distributing objective news about
Myanmar to the world, the false news reports of the western media are
flooding the world," he charged.

 However, he said, the real news of Myanmar started to spread worldwide
as internet users are on the increase ever than before, adding that
tourists received the real news about Myanmar through the internet. He
urged wider broadcasting of Myanmar domestic news with full essence and
objectives. He also said the broadcasting of electronic facts on
education, jointly sponsored by Myanmar's Ministry of Education and
Ministry of Information, is successful, pointing out that these
education programs have been received at learning centers in various
parts of the country. He urged information officials to carry the tasks
of extending news telecasting and broadcasting of other programs as a
national duty.

Myanmar is making efforts to promote the country's information sector,
especially its radio and television services, in conformity with the
global changes and development, arranging to upgrade its radio and TV
machines and equipment by changing its present TV system to digital one.
Radio Myanmar was established in early 1946 and color TV was introduced
in June 1980. The TV Myanmar is now made available of transmission of
satellite news with the cooperation of the Cable Network News (CNN) and
the Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK). Meanwhile, Myanmar has also
started with internet E-mail services for the general public with
initial users of only 2,500 and a plan is underway to extend the number
of such users.

Irrawaddy: OSS Eager to Show New Face of Myanmar

Issue of January 2001

Recently, high-ranking intelligence officers told foreign visitors that
The New Light of Myanmar, Burma?s official mouthpiece publication, does
not represent the policies of the Office of Strategic Studies (OSS) or
the opinions of Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt. "If you want to know our position,
look at our website or The Myanmar Times," the officer added.

Bewildered by the statement, analysts suggest that army and intelligence
factions in Rangoon are at loggerheads over how to promote the junta?s
image. The OSS is widely perceived as intelligence chief Khin Nyunt?s
main power base within the regime.

The Myanmar Times, launched in 1999, is believed to be backed by an OSS
office headed by Khin Nyunt. Edited by Australian Ross Dunkley, the
weekly paper is financed by Burmese businessman Pyone Maung Maung. The
paper often displays Khin Nyunt and his close aides and family members
attending dinner parties or hotel receptions. Army hardliners rarely
appear in the newspaper.

Col Thein Swe, deputy head of the OSS and Khin Nyunt?s close aide, is
believed to be behind the publication. Focussing mainly on soft news
stories, it generally portrays the regime in a favorable light, without
the vitriolic attacks on the opposition that are a staple of official
publications.

___________________ REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL___________________

Bangkok Post: Burma being urged to end import ban

Feb. 3, 2001

The government will be asked to negotiate with Rangoon a ban it placed
on Thai goods.

Anan Laothammathat, chairman of the Chiang Rai Chamber of Commerce, said
Burma's ban on 25 imported items had caused cross-border trade in
several northern provinces to plummet.

Meanwhile, Chiang Rai governor Samroeng Punyopakorn blasted Burmese
soldiers for arresting five Thai villagers on Wednesday.

They were caught while working in lychee plantations in the disputed
Kotemayong mountain border area in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district.

All were released after 8,000 baht was paid to Burmese soldiers, which
was later returned. Burma claims it suspected they were about to create
unrest

Irrawaddy: NCUB Rejects NCGUB Transitional Plan

Issue of January 2001

The National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB), in its meeting of
Presidium and Secretariat members held in the second week of December
2000, rejected a "transitional plan" drafted by the National Coalition
Government of Union of Burma (NCGUB), according to reliable sources. It
was unclear, however, why the NCUB?the self-styled parliamentary body of
the NCGUB?declined to support the plan.

The NCGUB proposal, drafted by the Washington-based Burmese
government-in-exile last January, is a sort of "road map" that lays out
the specific steps to be followed to achieve democracy in Burma,
including all-inclusive political dialogue, negotiations, compromises,
and transition.

The NCGUB reportedly presented the plan at a high-powered meeting on
Burma?s political deadlock in Seoul, South Korea last March. The Seoul
meeting brought together Burma experts and delegations from interested
governments in Asia and the West. "Many participants showed their
interest in this plan, but no one promised that their country would
adopt it," said a source close to the NCGUB.

The confidential plan came under a barrage of criticism late last year
when its contents were revealed through media reports and over the
Internet. But some observers noted that most of the objections raised
were directed at the source, rather than the substance, of the proposal.
"The concerns of the critics are more to do with the political
accountability of the NCGUB and whether the NCGUB went beyond its given
mandate," suggested one independent analyst in exile.

But some critics claimed that the plan was too compromising, and failed
to assert the opposition National League for Democracy?s right to power
based on its overwhelming electoral victory in 1990

_______________ ECONOMY AND BUSINESS _______________

Clean Clothes Campaign [Netherlands]: Bras Burn as Triumph Does Business
in Burma!

Feb. 1, 2001

On January 19th the CCC had an action day on Triumph, to pressure them
to withdraw from Burma. Triumph, the Swiss-based lingerie company,
operated Myanmar Triumph International, Ltd., in Burma at the
Pyin-Ma-Bin Industrial Estate. For more information on this case, please
see the appeal circulated January 18th or visit the CCC website:
www.cleanclothes.org.
CCC campaigners took to the streets in Switzerland and the Netherlands
to protest Triumph's support of Burma's military regime, demanding that
Triumph pull out of Burma and that retailers put all Triumph orders on
hold until the company withdraws from Burma.

In Triumph's home country of Switzerland, a street action in Lausanne
and a newspaper advertisement in a German-language newspaper generated a
storm of attention around this issue. Several TV stations covered the
story, as did radio and print media. The Swiss CCC has learned that
Triumph has hired a public relations specialist to handle this issue,
and a representative from the Swiss campaign has been invited to
participate in a radio debate with this PR person tomorrow. Meanwhile,
email messages to be forwarded to Triumph from consumers have been
pouring in. Please visit the Swiss campaign's website
(www.cleanclothes.ch) to read about this action (in French and German)
and to see the powerful image they are using in their campaign or to
send a message to Triumph.

In Amsterdam the Dutch CCC and the Burma Centrum Nederland organized a
lively parade down the city's main shopping street, the Kalverstraat,
ending up at Vroom & Dreesman, a major retailer in the Netherlands which
sells Triumph products. Marching behind a banner that called on Triumph
to "support breasts, not dictators" the group of activists, including a
Samba band and people on stilts, distributed leaflets to the lunch-hour
shopping crowds and then burned bras in protest of Triumph's support of
the Burmese military regime. The parade made its way over to
Hunkemoller, a lingerie chain which also sells Triumph bras, to burn a
few more bras. Press attention of the event included a photo in Metro, a
newspaper distributed in train stations all over the country. For more
information on the Dutch action, visit the ccc website at:
http://www.cleanclothes.org/bedrijven/triumph.htm for information in
Dutch or to participate in the campaign targetting Dutch retailers, or
at http://www.cleanclothes.org/companies/triumph.htm for information on
this case in English.

Xinhua: Chinese Company Starts Building Dry-Dock for Myanmar

YANGON, February 2 (Xinhua) -- A ground-breaking ceremony was held here
Friday to start building a 12,000-DWT (deadweight tons) dry-dock by a
Chinese company for the Myanmar Ministry of Transport. The building of
the dry-dock is to be started by the Shandong Agricultural Industry and
Commerce Group Corporation (SAICGC) of China at the state-run Myanmar
Shipyards in the capital under a contract reached between the Chinese
company and the Myanmar ministry in October 1999. Under the contract,
the 168-meter-long and 28-meter-wide dry- dock is scheduled to be
completed within two years, according to the contract. The investment in
the project is estimated at 1 billion Kyats ( about 167 million U.S.
dollars), involving 25.45-million-dollar seller's credit. The existing
Myanmar dock has reportedly only a capacity of 1, 000 DWT and an
extension to at least 10,000 DWT of capacity is in urgent need. The
dry-dock project is the first one in Myanmar contracted by Shandong
province and it is expected that the project will greatly improve
conditions of ship building, repairing and water transportation in the
country.

________________

The BurmaNet News is an Internet newspaper providing comprehensive
coverage of news and opinion on Burma  (Myanmar) from around the world.
If you see something on Burma, you can bring it to our attention by
emailing it to strider@xxxxxxx

To automatically subscribe to Burma's only free daily newspaper in
English, send an email to:
burmanet-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to The BurmaNet News in Burmese, send an email to:

burmanetburmese-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can also contact BurmaNet by phone or fax:

Voice mail or fax (US) +1(202) 318-1261
You will be prompted to press 1 for a voice message or 2 to send a fax.
If you do neither, a fax tone will begin automatically.

Fax (Japan) +81 (3) 4512-8143

________________

Burma News Summaries available by email or the web

There are three Burma news digest services available via either email or
the web.

Burma News Update
Frequency: Biweekly
Availability: By fax or the web.
Viewable online at http://www.soros.org/burma/burmanewsupdate/index.html
Cost: Free
Published by: Open Society Institute, Burma Project

The Burma Courier
Frequency: Weekly
Availability: E-mail, fax or post.  To subscribe or unsubscribe by email
celsus@xxxxxxxxxxx
Viewable on line at: http://www.egroups.com/group/BurmaCourier
Cost: Free
Note: News sources are cited at the beginning of an article.
Interpretive comments and background
details are often added.

Burma Today
Frequency: Weekly