HRW: Australia Undermining Global H

--=====================_5258270==_.ALT

>[Ah, so that's what the Australian human rights training programme in=20
>Burma is all about.
    I had somehow assumed that they were going there to teach rather than=20
to learn. The
    rationale is presumably that if Australia is part of Asia, it might as=
=20
well join Malaysia,
    Burma et al in embracing "Asian values", putting the Special=20
Rapporteurs in their place
    and getting off  the hook of universal standards and treaty=20
obligations. -- DA]

> [...]
>of itself."
>
>On August 29, three Australian ministers -- Foreign Minister Alexander
>Downer, Attorney-General Daryl Williams, and Minister for Immigration
>and Multicultural Affairs Philip Ruddock -- issued a joint statement
>calling for a "complete overhaul" of U.N. human rights treaty bodies to
>"ensure that Australia gets a better deal" from them.
>
>Many of the major international human rights treaties, such as the
>International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), have
>provisions establishing committees to ensure the treaties'
>implementation.  These committees are known as U.N. treaty bodies.  The
>Howard government was particularly angered by criticism from three such
>committees.  In 1999, the Committee on the Elimination of Racial
>Discrimination warned that  government policies risked violating the
>rights of indigenous communities.  In 1998 and 2000, the government was
>embarrassed by two high profile interventions by the Committee Against
>Torture to stop the return of asylum seekers until it had considered
>their claims that they would face torture if returned to the countries
>they had fled.  And in July 2000, the Human Rights Committee of the
>ICCPR expressed serious concerns about Australia's mandatory sentencing
>laws, the marginalization of Aboriginal people, and the mandatory
>detention of asylum seekers.
>
>As a result, the Howard government says it will only agree to visits to
>Australia by treaty bodies when "there is a compelling reason to do so,"
>and it will reject "unwarranted requests from treaty committees to delay
>removal of unsuccessful asylum seekers from Australia."  It says it
>will  not sign or ratify a new optional protocol to the Convention on
>the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women which establishes a
>complaint procedure, and it will fight against a greater role for
>nongovernmental organizations in the treaty bodies' activities.
>
>Human Rights Watch said the Howard government's decision to distance
>itself from the U.N. treaty bodies was particularly disappointing
>because in many areas, Australia has been a champion of human rights.
>Its support for an International Criminal Court to try perpetrators of
>grave abuses is one important example.
>
>Like the United States, however, Australia's support for human rights
>abroad has not always translated into good policies at home.  Australian
>anger over critical U.N. scrutiny of mandatory sentencing, treatment of
>asylum-seekers, and Aboriginal policies has its parallel in U.S.
>resentment of U.N. investigation of capital punishment by U.N. Special
>Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary, or Arbitrary Executions.
>
>"The Australian decision on the U.N. is particularly unfortunate,
>because it will add a hitherto respectable voice to those of repressive
>governments seeking to undermine the international system for protection

--=====================_5258270==_.ALT

rights training programme in Burma is all about.</blockquote>&nbsp;&nbsp;
I had somehow assumed that they were going there to teach rather than to
learn. The <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; rationale is presumably that if Australia is part of Asia,
it might as well join Malaysia, <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Burma et al in embracing &quot;Asian values&quot;, putting
the Special Rapporteurs in their place <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; and getting off&nbsp; the hook of universal standards and
treaty obligations. -- DA]<br>
August 31, 2000<br>
AUSTRALIA UNDERMINING GLOBAL HUMAN RIGHTS<br>
(New York, August 31, 2000)=97Human Rights Watch today condemned the<br>
Australian government's decision to restrict cooperation with U.N.<br>
bodies critical of Australian human rights practices.<br>
&quot;In terms of human rights criticism, the Howard government's motto
seems<br>
to be =91It is better to give than to receive',&quot; said Sidney Jones,
Asia<br>
director of Human Rights Watch.&nbsp; &quot;It doesn't do much for
protection of<br>
human rights if any government can change the rules to avoid
criticism<br>
of itself.&quot;<br>
On August 29, three Australian ministers -- Foreign Minister
Alexander<br>
Downer, Attorney-General Daryl Williams, and Minister for
Immigration<br>
and Multicultural Affairs Philip Ruddock -- issued a joint=20
statement<br>
calling for a &quot;complete overhaul&quot; of U.N. human rights treaty
bodies to<br>
&quot;ensure that Australia gets a better deal&quot; from them.<br>
Many of the major international human rights treaties, such as the<br>
International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), have<br>
provisions establishing committees to ensure the treaties'<br>
implementation.&nbsp; These committees are known as U.N. treaty
bodies.&nbsp; The<br>
Howard government was particularly angered by criticism from three
such<br>
committees.&nbsp; In 1999, the Committee on the Elimination of
Racial<br>
Discrimination warned that&nbsp; government policies risked violating
the<br>
rights of indigenous communities.&nbsp; In 1998 and 2000, the government
was<br>
embarrassed by two high profile interventions by the Committee
Against<br>
Torture to stop the return of asylum seekers until it had=20
considered<br>
their claims that they would face torture if returned to the
countries<br>
they had fled.&nbsp; And in July 2000, the Human Rights Committee of
the<br>
ICCPR expressed serious concerns about Australia's mandatory
sentencing<br>
laws, the marginalization of Aboriginal people, and the mandatory<br>
detention of asylum seekers.<br>
As a result, the Howard government says it will only agree to visits
to<br>
Australia by treaty bodies when &quot;there is a compelling reason to do
so,&quot;<br>
and it will reject &quot;unwarranted requests from treaty committees to
delay<br>
removal of unsuccessful asylum seekers from Australia.&quot;&nbsp; It
says it<br>
will&nbsp; not sign or ratify a new optional protocol to the Convention
on<br>
the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women which establishes a<br>
complaint procedure, and it will fight against a greater role for<br>
nongovernmental organizations in the treaty bodies' activities.<br>
Human Rights Watch said the Howard government's decision to=20
distance<br>
itself from the U.N. treaty bodies was particularly disappointing<br>
because in many areas, Australia has been a champion of human
rights.<br>
Its support for an International Criminal Court to try perpetrators
of<br>
grave abuses is one important example.<br>
Like the United States, however, Australia's support for human
rights<br>
abroad has not always translated into good policies at home.&nbsp;
Australian<br>
anger over critical U.N. scrutiny of mandatory sentencing, treatment
of<br>
asylum-seekers, and Aboriginal policies has its parallel in U.S.<br>
resentment of U.N. investigation of capital punishment by U.N.
Special<br>
Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary, or Arbitrary Executions.<br>
&quot;The Australian decision on the U.N. is particularly
unfortunate,<br>
because it will add a hitherto respectable voice to those of
repressive<br>
governments seeking to undermine the international system for
protection<br>
of human rights,&quot; Jones said.</blockquote></html>