NLD Statement 38 in English

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement No: 38(3/99)

Contents of letter dated 23 February 1999 from the Chairman, National
League for Democracy to the Chairman of the Chairman of the State Peace
and Development Council is reproduced and published for the information
of all.

START

" Subject- Illegal action by the authorities against a member of NLD
organising committee and the unlawful harassment and obstructing to
prevent the family from earning an income.

1.	U Kyaw San, NLD organising committee member for Prome Township was
arrested by the power-holding-authorities for distributing NLD Statement
Number 4(1/99) dated 6 January 1999, and our information is that they
are planning to proceed against him unjustly.

2.	The Statements issued by the NLD are legitimate publications and as a
legal activity of a lawfully constituted organisation is permitted under
the law. To take action against a person for distribution of a legal
publication is extremely unjust, bullying, and browbeating behaviour.
Therefore, we emphatically ask for his immediate release.

3.	More than that, U Kyaw San and his family members earn their
livelihood by fortune-telling in the Pagoda precincts. Since the 8
February, the place has been shut down and their means of livelihood has
been terminated. This illegal action (arbitrarily depriving a person of
his means of livelihood) against family members who are not in any way
connected with U Kyaw San's political activity is harsh and inhuman. We
have also heard that from the date of his arrest (22 January 1999) to
this date U Kyaw San has been denied permission to have a bath and as a
result is in a state of worry and depression.

4.	We object and protest these inhuman and despicable behaviour and
emphasise the request to refrain from denying families the right to
continue with their legitimate means of livelihood. "		END

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon