NLD Statement 94 in English

National League for Democracy
No: (97/B), West Shwegondine
Bahan Township, Rangoon

Statement 94 (10/98)

1. The Military Intelligence Service has illegally arrested and held NLD
parliamentarians, NLD members of organising committees (States,
Divisions, Townships, Wards, and Villages), and ordinary members for no
legitimate reason but purely out of spite making a mockery of the "rule
of law " which is being proclaimed.

2. These illegal arrests and imprisonment and abuse of power to the
extreme are being falsely reported as " holding discussions ". This is a
mean and shameful strategy and should not be resorted to. In law,
depriving a person of the comfort and company of his family and home
life by taking him away through the use of authority and power, amounts
to illegal restraint and imprisonment. The truth of the matter is that
no discussion took place. It was out and out arrest and interrogation.
The questions put to them  by the military intelligence were:-

(a) Questions similar to those that have been embodied in NLD statement

71(9/98).
(b) Calling for the convening of the people's parliament by the NLD- is
it  	lawful or not?
(c) Whether or not you will attend the parliament convened by the NLD.
(d) Whether the NLD was given the mandate to convene parliament.

3. The NLD members who are under arrest have committed no criminal
offence nor have  they violated any provision of law that is right and
proper. They are persons of good repute who desire genuine democracy and
human rights for the country and are working towards that goal.

4. The people voted in NLD members to parliament with one voice because
they had confidence in their integrity. They believed that the
individuals they voted for would act for the good of the country and
they approved of the policies and activities of the party.

5. These individuals in whom the people laid their trust and who have
the ability to perform  tasks for the good of the country are now
suffering arrest and imprisonment. The military intelligence personnel
are treating these highly respectable individuals in a very shabby
manner.
(a) 	Instead of admitting that they had been arrested and imprisoned, it
is falsely reported  that " discussions " are taking place. Genuine
discussions do not go on for such a long period of time.
(b) 	In addition to these lies, they permit some of the NLD
parliamentarians to spend a day or a night  with their families or
otherwise on a Saturday or a Sunday making it appear that they are
having a break. This is an attempt to demoralise the individual and
members of his family. Such contemptible strategies should not be
adopted.
(c) 	Without their consent, photographs with videos and cameras are
taken of them sometimes when they are allowed to meet with their
families, or when they are having a meal together. This is for the
purpose of presenting to the world a false picture. This is shameful
behaviour void of fellow feeling or compassion.
(d) 	The military intelligence personnel deceitfully told those NLD
parliamentarians who were permitted to return to their homes for a short
visit that if they stopped their association with the NLD or if members
of the NLD did not contact them, they would be allowed more visits-
perhaps once a week or once a month. This is an attempt to drive a wedge
in between the members of the party, a most demeaning trait of
character.
(e) 	Some NLD members were abruptly forced to leave while taking a meal
with the family by the military intelligence personnel. This again
reveals the lack of common courtesy and fellow feeling.

6. The Central Executive Committee of the NLD enthusiastically applauds
the NLD parliamentarians for not caving in but standing firm and
adhering to the policies laid down by the party, despite the mental and
physical hardships imposed on them. We announce our pride and joy in
this matter. This is evidence of the fact that an individual's firm
convictions cannot be demolished in any way and under no circumstances.
Similarly we applaud the tenacious spirit of their families.

7. The crafty activities of the military personnel as enumerated above
is despicable and akin to the methods used in communist and fascist
countries. Now is the time when the NLD and other democracy activists
and the people are striving with all their might to bring about a
multi-party democratic system.

8. The activities of the military personnel are deliberately designed to
deceive the special envoy of the Secretary General of the United Nations
who is in the country at this time. If they are genuine and want to show
it they can immediately and unconditionally release all -by this we mean
all- the NLD members who have been restrained and or imprisoned. By now
the "discussions" should be over.

9. The National League for Democracy rebukes and denounces the military
intelligence services for the above activities. We hereby announce that
we are determined to implement the results of the 1990 general elections
by the convening of parliament and to take whatever necessary steps even
though the parliamentarians are being made the scapegoats. We will stand
firm and not waver one bit and continue in our efforts to convene the
people's parliament.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

29 October 1998.