BKK Post, April 9, 1998. Rangoon ag (r)

Why is this being reported??? UNHCR will be taking care of the problem created
by SPDC. Why do we need Khin Nyunt's blessing to do this?

The refugees are in camps on located on Thai soil. We need the continued
goodwill and support of the Thai people and the Thai Government. And since
most of the funding for UN comes from US (after we pay our dues) and European
Countries, we do need their support.

SPDC cannot do anything for these refugees. The refugees are the result of the
poor economic situation in Burma which is caused by the political situation.
All these problems will disappear when we get rid of the military dictatorship
and replace it with a civilian governent.