The BurmaNet News January 5, 1998

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: January 5, 1998
Issue #904
SPECIAL ISSUE: HONORING INDEPENDENCE DAY - JANUARY 4

HEADLINES:
==========
ALTSEAN: INDEPENDENCE SHOULD MEAN BETTER HUMAN RIGHTS
NCGUB: FELICITATIONS ON OCCASION OF GOLDEN JUBILEE
S.H.R.F. AND S.H.A.N.: GOLDEN JUBILEE 50TH ANNIVERSARY
SDU AND SSA:  MESSAGE ON  THE  OCCASION  OF THE  50TH
SDU/SSA: SURA CHANGES ITS NAME TO SSA
ABSDF: STATEMENT ON BURMA INDEPENDENCE DAY
ABSL:  MESSAGE OF THE GOLDEN JUBILEE OF INDEPENDENCE DAY
INDEPENDENT COMMENTARY: WHAT HAS HALF A CENTURY
ABSDO: STATEMENT ON 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURMA
NLD(LA) AUSTRALIA: DECLARATION
THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: LAW AMENDING THE POLICE
ANNOUNCEMENT: BURMESE LANGUAGE KIT NOW AVAILABLE
-----------------

ALTSEAN: INDEPENDENCE SHOULD MEAN BETTER HUMAN RIGHTS
- SUU KYI
January 3, 1998

MEDIA RELEASE
INDEPENDENCE SHOULD MEAN BETTER HUMAN RIGHTS - SUU KYI

Bangkok: National League for Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi has linked
Burma's 50th anniversary of independence with the 50th anniversary of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

During a recent interview in Rangoon Ms Suu Kyi said: "Independence should
mean greater enjoyment of human rights but unfortunately it has not meant
this in Burma. I think that it should be one of our goals that the 50th year
of our independence should be a year when the people of Burma are able to
enjoy better human rights." Burma celebrates 50 years of independence tomorrow.

In an apparent response to recent attacks on the universality of human
rights, Ms Suu Kyi said: "...Burma was one of the original signatories to
the UDHR and I'm not aware that any Burmese at the time stood up and said
'this is not Asian, this is not Burmese.' If we are only to accept values
that originated in our own region, there can't be any Muslims in Malaysia,
for example, because Islam did not originate from Malaysia, neither can
there be Christians in any part of the world except the Middle East. It just
doesn't make sense."

Ms Suu Kyi was confident that there would be a democratically elected
government in Burma in the "not too distant" future: "We've already had
democracy in Burma. When we became independent we were a democratic nation
 ... these were the years Burma was considered one of the nations most likely
to succeed in Asia. I think democracy did us a lot of good.

"What we want is a liberal, practising democracy. A democracy where there
will be regular elections, where the people are in a position to freely
change the government if they feel that it is not acting for their benefit,
and a system that is strong enough to withstand whatever crises the nation
might have to face.

"I know that democracy will not mean the end of our problems but I would
like democracy to mean a country which is strong enough, liberal enough and
sensible enough to cope with whatever problems that arise without (causing)
undue harm to the people," Ms Suu Kyi emphasised.

Ms Suu Kyi expressed appreciation for the support of other pro-democracy
political parties in Burma, some of which have been de-registered by the
military regime. "It not only shows their dedication to democracy but it
also demonstrates the generosity of their spirit ... they are very
supportive of what we are doing because they know we are all working towards
the same goal."

The Nobel Laureate also hoped that 1998 would see the international
community taking concerted action to implement the terms of the General
Assembly resolution on Burma which was adopted unanimously by consensus. "It
means that every member of the UN has a duty to try to implement its terms.
We don't want the present situation to continue where it seems that Asean is
pulling one way and the United States is pulling another way and the EU is
pulling somewhere in the direction of the US, and Japan is pulling in the
direction of Asean."

ENDS

For more information, please contact:
Bangkok tel. (66 2) 275 1811, tel/fax (66 2) 693 4515 or email
<altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>
A L T S E A N - B U R M A
ALTERNATIVE ASEAN NETWORK ON BURMA
*tel: [662] 275 1811/693 4515 *fax: [662] 693 4515 *e-mail: altsean@xxxxxxxxxx

NCGUB: FELICITATIONS ON OCCASION OF GOLDEN JUBILEE
OF INDEPENDENCE
January 4, 1998
>From padauk@xxxxxxxxxx

The independence journey of Burma, after being liberated from the British
colonialists on January 4, 1948, has now attained exactly its  fiftieth
year, on this day. We, the National Coalition Government of the Union of
Burma (NCGUB), put on record and honor, solemnly, the martyrs and heroes
who have sacrificed their lives and limbs for the independence of Burma. We
send this letter of felicitations, wishing the people of Burma to have a
life of freedom and happiness, equally as others, especially to be able to
enjoy the benefits of independence to the fullest extent!

Dear Fellow People of Burma,
	Burma, which had been with its own kings and identity, lost its
sovereignty and, after living in serfdom under foreign domination for 124
years, gained its independence in 1948. Independence was gained not because
of the effort of an individual, a group or an organization but because of
the united struggle of the entire national mass consisting of the various
ethnic nationalities. What is regrettable is that, as the civil war started
83 days after independence, it would not be wrong to name this year as the
year of  golden jubilee of the civil war, as well as that of the
independence. We the people of all the ethnic nationalities, have to endure
all the evil legacies and afflictions of the civil war, up to this day.

The SPDC (formerly SLORC) has tried to cover up the civil war by spreading
false propaganda all over the world saying that there is no civil war but
only a group of wreckers bent on marauding. The SPDC is trying to conceal
the civil war deliberately,  because it does not want to resolve the
political problems by political means. The people must be aware  that the
civil war has been continuing, because instead of resolving political
problems by political means, arms might has been used. After independence,
as the successive governments have been mainly engaged in the attempt for
total annihilation, rather than cessation, the civil war has continued to
reach its golden jubilee.

Development, peace and establishment of a modern state cannot be achieved
just by shouting the words, but good political conditions for them will be
obtained only when the problem of civil war is permanently settled. In
order to end the civil war and address the crisis of deteriorating
political, economic, social and health conditions, the political means of
genuine dialogue must be undertaken.

The essence of independence, which was gained through the unity of all the
indigenous nationalities, has entirely disappeared, the unity of the
indigenous nationalities is in pieces and the country, as the situation is
out of control, is on the verge of disintegration, because of  oppression
and division by the SLORC military dictatorship which had seized power by
using force of arms. During the 50 years of independence, the rights of the
ethnic nationalities and the basic rights of the people have gradually
dimmed and disappeared, and under the rule of the present SPDC military
council, the rights and freedoms are further suppressed.

In 1943, on the anniversary of the independence given by the Japanese,
Bogyoke Aung San, in his speech, said " Now, Burma has gained her
independence for one full year. What have we gained in this period ? To
tell you the truth, our countrymen have not tasted any benefit of
independence. Those who have had the benefits are only a few. Those few
people are the high ranking government officials, including myself, those
parasites who have attached themselves to these officials, and the newly
rich who are profiteering by taking advantage of the situation and using
the trouble of the people as their investments. Only these people are
enjoying the benefits of independence."  Similarly, even though the
independence has reached the year of golden jubilee, it is definite that
the people of Burma have not properly tasted the benefits of independence.

         As the political, economic and social freedoms are extensively
restricted under the rule of the SPDC more than under the alien rule, the
life of the people has returned to the serfdom of the Middle Ages. The
arbitrary rule of the country,  with unjust orders and powers,  warlordism
and bribery, cannot bring peace and prosperity to the country, in the
future as well. During the four-8 movement and the 1990 election, the
ultimate goal of the people was democracy. As Bogyoke had once said, "
Should an ideology similar to fascism, under which democracy based on the
will of the people cannot survive, arise, then the people can no longer
have independence," only when the fascist dictatorship in Burma has
disappeared totally, will we be able to reach our goal of democracy. For
the establishment of a free, happy and peaceable society and for the demise
of fascist military dictatorship,  the whole nation must unitedly struggle,
in like manner as the entire people who had struggled unitedly during the
anti-colonialist and anti-fascist movements.

Therefore, we , the NCGUB earnestly urge and invite the entire people of
all the nationalities to join forces with us and struggle for the
establishment of a  new, peaceable, modern and democratic State.

The Cabinet
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma

January 4, 1998

S.H.R.F. AND S.H.A.N.: GOLDEN JUBILEE 50TH ANNIVERSARY
OF INDEPENDENCE
Greetings
January 4, 1998
>From shan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fifty years ago this day, 4 January, Burma, Shan States, together with
other Non-Burman regions under the British crown, established a new
independent political entity, officially known as the Union of Burma

The basis on which this association was formed was the Panglong Agreement
signed a year earlier, on 7 February 1947. The main terms of the treaty
were: Right of self-determination, democracy and human rights for all. "Full
autonomy", "noninterference" in the internal affairs of the states by the
central government, and "financial autonomy" were the terms of incorporation.

	The second basis of the Union -- the direct result of the Panglong
Agreement -- was the Union Constitution, which was ratified on 24 September
1947 which guaranteed the right of Non-Burmans to leave the Union after ten
years. This is the right recognized by Aung San.

	However, since the military came into power in 1962, the Panglong
Agreement, the Union Constitution and the hopes they inspired are no more.
Although the Union is spoken of, it no longer exist. There is instead a
dictatorship worse than British colonialism and Japanese fascism.

Independence has been replaced by enslavement. We have since 1962 therefore
been engaged in a struggle for second independence.

The first one was achieved through Panglong, the Union Constitution and a
sense of equality and magnanimity. How this second one is going to be
achieved is the question for all of us to consider. But one thing is clear.
We cannot afford to prolong the suffering of our people.  We must all get to
work to gain what our people have aspired to and hope for: freedom,
equality, harmony, peace, and prosperity.

	Greetings to all.

S.H.A.N
Shan Herald Agency for News

S.HR.F
Shan Human Rights Foundation

SDU AND SSA:  MESSAGE ON  THE  OCCASION  OF THE  50TH
ANNIVERSARY  OF  INDEPENDENCE  DAY
January 4, 1998

1 .	Today should be appropriate for all the parties concerned, including the
State Peace and Development Council, the National League for Democracy and
the Shan Nationalities League for Democracy, to seriously consider working
hand in hand to bring good tidings to our long suffering people.

	The piece of news that our people have been longing for urgently day and
night is peace, reconciliation and the end to human rights abuses which
include endless forced labor, forced relocations, plunders, rapes and
killings. If this cannot be conveyed, the extravagant celebrations would
mark nothing other than a meaningless independence which has plunged our
people into an endless living hell.

2 .	Therefore, for the sake of our people, we would like to present the
following proposal for consideration.

( a )	A nationwide dialogue for reconciliation is an absolute necessity. To
be able to convene a nationwide dialogue, we firmly believe that an Amnesty
Law must be promulgated. We the Shans who have suffered very grievously from
military atrocities and ethnic cleansing actions nonetheless support the
offer of amnesty, in the interest of lasting peace, democracy, human rights
and racial harmony.

( b )	We believe that the democratically elected Parliament has the
legitimacy and authority to pass an Amnesty Act. No other body has this right.

( c )	We believe that professional leaders within the military desire
dialogue and genuine national reconciliation as all other ethnic
nationalities do.

( d )	We therefore call upon the State Peace and Development Council to
allow parliament into session with the purpose of ( 1 ) passing an Amnesty
Act and ( 2 ) sanctioning an assembly to be participated in by all ethnic
elected and nonelected leaders, leaders of all social sectors, military and
civil servants as a preparatory body leading to nonviolent national conflict
resolution under the rule of law.

( e )	We appeal to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the National League for Democracy,
the National Coalition Government of Union of Burma and all grassroot
leaders of democratic groups to support our appeal for calling parliament
into session for this stated purpose.

3 .	We also appeal to world leaders, national governments, the UN, the EU
and ASEAN governments and leaders to constructively engage by assisting the
process of reconciliation leading to Lasting Peace in Burma.

Joint Executive Committee,
Shan Democratic Union - Shan States Army

SDU/SSA: SURA CHANGES ITS NAME TO SSA
January 1, 1998
>From shan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Beginning the New Year, the Shan United Revolutionary Army, commanded by
Yordserk, has officially changed its name to Shan State Army, according to
the communique in Shan by its source.

The basic was the agreement signed among the three Shan armed groups on 13
September 1996 at Camp Hseng Keo, Hsipaw State. The three, two of which,
namely, the Shan State Army and the Shan State National Army have cease-fire
agreements with the Rangoon junta, solemnly vowed to "stick together come
what may" on that day. The main term of the agreement was to adopt a common
designation: the Shan State Army. The other was to set up a political party
to be called the Shan State National Organization.

The leader of the combined force, Sao Sai Nawng, then went to Rangoon to
propose Slorc's official recognition. It was turned down by military that
resumed its offensive against the SURA.

Yordserk, in his new year's message, says: "It is time we put our agreement
into concrete deeds." However, comments from the other two is lacking. "One
thing is certain of course. It would not please Rangoon. And it will do its
best to destroy our unity."

Yordserk, now officially the Commander of the Shan State Army, Southern
Region, requests all to address him and the Army as such as of 1 January 1998.

SSA Information

ABSDF: STATEMENT ON BURMA INDEPENDENCE DAY
January 3, 1998

STATEMENT ON THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURMA INDEPENDENCE
DAY

January 4th, 1998 marks the 50th anniversary of Burma
Independence Day from British colonial rule, which governed for
over one hundred years.  Burma regained her independence through
the vitality and perseverance of the struggles of the entire
people of Burma.

Although Burma regained her independence from the British, the
country has been under military dictatorship after only 14 years
practice of parliamentary democracy from her independence year
of 1948.

The ABSDF draws a parallel conclusion that Burma lost her
independence again into the hands of the brutal military regime
in 1962.  Since that time, Burma has experienced relentless
struggles by her people for the restoration of democracy and
human rights.

The military regime, ever the chameleon parading under different
banners, has continued to oppress its own people throughout the
country since the establishment of military rule.

Though January 4th is an auspicious day for the people of Burma,
people remain far away from democracy as recognized by
inter-national norms and greatly suffer from spontaneous abuses
of human rights by the military regime.

'Therefore, the ABSDF calls on the people of Burma to continue
the struggle hand in hand with us, to achieve freedom from
military dictatorship and a return to a democratic system which
will encourage the genuine development for the people of Burma.

At the same time, the ABSDF appeals to the international
community to continue to pressure the military regime to enter
into dialogue with the democratic forces led by Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi and ethnic representatives, to settle the country's conflicts
through peaceful means.

Central Committee
ABSDF

ABSL:  MESSAGE OF THE GOLDEN JUBILEE OF INDEPENDENCE DAY
January 3, 1998

Fifty  years have  already completed  today that  the Burma
stands  as an independent and sovereign nation in the world
and  it is reach into the  very occasion of Golden Jubilee.
However, the people and country have been overwheled by the
oppession  and  destruction  of  the  military dictatorship
which  usurped the state power since 1962 and it existed in
36 years of this half century.

In  this  period which  the military  junta have  ruled the
country  and still  ruling,  the people  have deeply rooted
power  and poorer ever than before. The economy, education,
politic,   health,  moral ethics of the people and nation's
pride   entire  state  structure  have  been  deteriorated.

Although  independent  Union  of  Burma  based  on Liberty.
Fraternity  Equality  and  mutual  respect  was  founded by
Bogkoke  General Aung San led  all leaders of nationalities
and  all patriotic martyrs with blood and sweat is now like
a  dream for  the entire  people of  union of  Burma.  They
suffers   daily  hardship   as  the   results  of  poverty,
exploitation,  threat,  intimidation,  illegal  arrest  and
detention,killing  forced  relocation  and  forced laboring
which   have  existed  in  the   country  in  this  period.

While  the  leaders  of  the  world  are  working  for  the
betterment  of their peoples and countries approaching into
the  21st century,   the power hungry  military generals of
Burma are selling the country to opportunist neighbors like
China and ASEAN countries to prolong their power.  Besides,
they  are myopic attempt to clumping the this very occasion
Golden  Jubilee of  Independence Day  as a  chicken affairs
and  restrict public  assemble to  celebrate this occasion,
meanwhile the India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka which have free
alongwith  Burma  from  same coloney  yoke  of  British are
proudly celebrating as their National pride.

It  is national duty,  it also need of hour to wipe not the
military dictators of the country for national
integration,  national  reconciliation  and  civil  liberty
which  grantee to entire people.  Inspite of fuliling this,
the  shameless and coward acts of  the SPDC turn SLORC turn
at  last  SPDC  Junta  is changing  their  masks  one after
another  to divert the  pressure of home  and abroad recent
change of their name to State Peace and Devlopement Freedom
is for the people who dare to fight, on this history Golden
Jubilee  of Independence  Day,  we  the All  Burma Students
League  would like to  call revolutionary alert  to all the
people  of Burma from  all scrate of  life to actively join
Second  Independence Struggle led Daw  Aung San Suu Kyi who
relentlessly  wage democratic movement  for the fundamental
rights of individuals and society.

Central Committee
All Burma Students League.

INDEPENDENT COMMENTARY: WHAT HAS HALF A CENTURY
WROUGHT?
January 4, 1998   by U Kyaw Win
>From gawsa@xxxxxxxx

"Free, free, our country is free.  Bearing victory sprigs we will carry
on, " so sang men of the Burmese Navy at the Yadanabon Barracks, which in
1948 was a portion of Rangoon's St. Paul's High School.  Foreign merchant
ships in the harbor cacophonously belched out their claxtons.  The sounds
were deafening.  There was no mistake about it. Burma was drumming out
the old and ushering in the new. It was precisely 4:20 AM on 4 January
1948--the moment astrologers chose as being propitious for a new
beginning.
I was a then boarding student at St. Paul's.  My home was in Twante but I
chose to spend the school recess staying in the dormitory with special
permission of Brother Fulbert, Director of St. Paul's.  Together with me
were a dozen other boarders whose homes were similarly distant from the
capital.  Furthermore, I had been selected to participate in the
calisthenics demonstrations at the Burma Athletic Association grounds
(since renamed Aung San Stadium), with students from other Rangoon
schools in the celebrations that marked the end of British.

At Government House, Britain's last governor, Sir Hubert Rance, presided
over a solemn ceremony which relinquished Briton's sovereignty over
Burma.  The tri-colors of the Union Jack descended the flagstaff and the
six-starred Union of Burma flag hoisted in its place.

Several days prior to Independence, His Majesty's Ship Birmingham sailed
into Rangoon harbor.  People were permitted aboard the cruiser which was
tied up at the Phayre Street jetty.  As a youngster, I had my fill of the
thrilling experience, inspecting every permissible nook and cranny, the
gun turrets and decks of this British man-of-war.  I took many
photographs, but all of them vanished when our home was looted during the
Communist insurrection that followed Independence.

After breakfast that joyous winter's day, I made my way to Rangoon's City
Hall.  The excitement in the city's streets was simply electrifying.  The
motorcade that brought Independent Burma's first President, Sao Shwe
Thaike, to the City Hall was cheered on by excited crowds.
After orations made by President Sao Shwe Thaike and other dignitaries,
it was now time to bid Sir Hubert Rance farewell at dockside.  Royal Navy
personnel lined the path trod by Sir Hubert as he was piped aboard the
Birmingham in traditional pomp and ceremony for which the British are
noted.

Then came the Birmingham's 21-gun salute which was returned by U.B.S.
Mayu, proud flagship of the new Burma Navy, anchored downstream.

>From the Birmingham's aft deck, the band struck up "Auld Lang Syne" as
the ship slowly sailed away.  It was a glorious moment, a moment of great
pride and joy for me who was blessed with the opportunity to witness a
great moment in the history of modern Burma.

Two years after that momentous day, I sailed to India to complete my high
school education in preparation for coming to American to attend college.
 I was going to get educated abroad and return home to serve my people
and country.  I did return to Burma armed with degrees from American
universities.  But bringing home a bride, even though she was Indonesian,
did not auger well as I sought employment suitable for my education,
talents, and interests.  One day as I was waiting in the foyer of the
Burma Broadasting Service building on Prome Road, a gentleman whom I had
never met and who knew me not from Adam counseled: "If I were young like
you, I would leave the country."  I later learned the gentleman's
identity to be that of a Colonel Ba Than who had recently retired from
the Tatmadaw in preparation for missionary work among the hill people of
the highlands.

I took the kindly gentleman's counsel and returned to America for what
was to have been a brief assignment.  While I was away, the military
usurped power in 1962.  My father's advice was to remain outside of Burma
until the situation in Burma improved if I wanted to live long.

As I look back those fifty years, I cannot help but be overcome by
sadness for my beloved homeland.  The situation has deteriorated, to say
the least.

It will take many years for Burma to recover from the trauma of military
mis-rule.  The economy is in a shambles. The rights of the citizens have
been trampled upon.  With no foreign enemies whatsover, the military
regime spends more than 50% of the national budget the keep the military
machinery in place--only to enforce its authority.

Once a jewel in Southeast Asia, Burma today is a shmeful land of terror.

Freedom is the right of all peoples.  For so long as the Burmese military
refuses to recognize that sovereignty resides in its people and continues
to unlawfully esconce itself in power, there can be no peace, which must
be tempered with justice, in that tortured land.

But the people of Burma are highly spirited.  They refuse to be cowed
down by an evil force.  It is their destiny to be free.  They got rid of
the British and Japanese colonialists.  I have absolute faith that they
will turn out the military rulers as well.

ABSDO: STATEMENT ON 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURMA
INDEPENDENCE DAY
January 4, 1998
>From eyar@xxxxxxxxxxxx

We, ABSDO (All Burma Students' Democratic Organisation ) are fighting
for restore democracy and human rights for over 45  millions of Burmese
people who were forcibly under control by military regime.

Today 4th  January, 1998 is golden anniversary of independence day.
Burma got absolute freedom from British. We also deeply honor  who
involved in fighting for independence of Burma.

Meanwhile, We (ABSDO) , are  more actively concentrate on some political
changed  inside Burma.
Therefore, We strongly denounce following ;-__
(1) We strongly believed that, previous SLORC (State Law and Order
Restoring Council), they had never wanted to people improvement, to
raise the developed societies.
(2) We also believed that present the SPDC ( State Peace and Development
Council), just only changed the name of SLORC by military regime which
doesn't have the  legitimate power.
(3) We really condemn that the SPDC unreasonably arrest actives  student
leaders and so many innocent people without trail.
 We (ABSDO) would like to ask the ruling military regime following
demands;___

(1) Immediately demolish the SPDC (State Peace  and Development Council
).
(2) Absolutely, to hand over the country power to NLD which won the 1990
election.
(3) To release all political activities, students leader Min Ko Naing
and other students detainees.
(4) To allow to form the student Union, which was historic union achieve
independent of Burma.

Central Committee,
All Burma Students' Democratic Organisation (Australia).
Email: Burma88@xxxxxxxxxxx /   htunhtun@xxxxxxxxxxxx /eyar@xxxxxxxxxxxx/
082903@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
33,Hillcrest Ave, Hurstville, NSW, 2220 Australia Ph:(02) 9579 3847/
9649 1302 0417442606 Fax; (02) 9649 1302
752 Warrigal Rd, Chadstone Vic , 3148 Australia Ph: (03) 9504 264

NLD(LA) AUSTRALIA: DECLARATION
January 4, 1998
>From ekyaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1.  The executive committee meeting and second plenary meeting of
National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) Australia has been held at
its Sydney headquarter at 91, Church Street, Lidcombe, NSW 2141 from
30/12/97 to 31/12/97.

2.  It has been unanimously reaffirmed to follow comprehensively the
policies of National League for Democracy led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
 to uplift the role of National Council Government of Union of Burma as
much as possible and to practise the concept of general harmony on the
democratic forces.

3.  The elected executive committee members were as follows :

 U Aye Kyaw                           Chairman
 U Kyi Lwin                           Vice-chairman
 U Kyaw Soe Moe                       Secretary
 U Ba Hein Shwe                       Joint-secretary 1
 U Thant Zaw Htwe                     Joint-secretary 2
U Thant Zin Oo                       Treasurer
U Soe Tun                            Joint-treasurer
U Ko Ko Naing                        Head of News and Information Department
U Richard Thet Naing              Joint- head of News and Information Department
U Zin Min Oo                         Head of Foreign Relation Department
U Lay Maung                          Joint- head of Foreign Relation Department
U Zaw Myint                          Head of Organisational Department
U Than Aung                          Joint- head of Organisational Department
Daw Ah Mar Cho                       Head of Alliance Relation Department
U Tin Ko Lay                         Joint- head of alliance Relation Department
U Thaung Su                          Auditor

Executive Committee
National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) Australia

THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: LAW AMENDING THE POLICE
December 31, 1997

The State Peace and Development Council Law Amending the Myanmar Police
Force Maintenance of Discipline Law

(The State Peace and Development Council Law No 3/97)
The 2nd Waxing Day of Pyatho, 1359 ME
(30th, December, 1997)

The State Peace and Development Council hereby enacts the following Law:

1. This Law shall be called the Law Amending the Myanmar Police Force
Maintenance of Discipline Law.

2. In Myanmar Police Force Maintenance of Discipline Law:

(a) the following sub-section shall be inserted as sub-section

(b) below sub-section (a) of section 28:(b) The Divisional or State Police
Force Commander may pass any of the following punishments after a summary
trial in the prescribed manner on a Police Second Lieutenant who has been
charged with committing any offence contained in this Law:

(i) reduction of salary within the scale of salary;
 (ii) stoppage of promotion;
 (iii) stoppage of increment;
 (iv) severe reprimand;
 (v) causing compensation to be made from salary.

(b) The sub-section (b) of section 28 shall be renumbered as sub-section(c).

(c) The expression "imprisonment in a police custody up to 21 days" contained
in clause (1) of sub-section (b) of section 2X shall be substituted by the
expression "imprisonment in a police custody up to 3 months".

(d) The expression "The Police Director General shall countersign" contained
in sub-section (a) of section 29 shall be substituted by the expression
"Either the Police Director General or any officer not below the rank of
Police Brigadier General of the Office of the Police Director General on whom
power has been conferred by the Police Director General for this purpose shall
countersign."

(e) The expression "who have held a commission for at least three years and"
contained in section 31 shall be deleted.

Sd Than Shwe
Senior General
Chairman
The State Peace and Development Council

ANNOUNCEMENT: BURMESE LANGUAGE KIT NOW AVAILABLE
December 30, 1997

XenoType Technologies is proud to announce the release of the Burmese
Language Kit for the Macintosh. The Burmese Language Kit provides
support for the Burmese, Shan, Mon and Pali languages.

You can combine any or all of these languages with any other language on
your Macintosh. The Burmese Language Kit gets rid of awkward keystrokes
and allows you to type the same key for every Burmese character!

The Burmese Language Kit ships with two system fonts and others are
available -- high resolution samples are available on the Order page (an
order is not required to view the samples).

You can get more information about this product and order on-line with
your credit card at our website:

http://www.nwlink.com/~bokai/index.html

For a limited time only, most products are available at reduced prices.

XenoType Technologies
Specializing in foreign language solutions for the Macintosh