U.S. denies plotting Burma attacks

 04:24 p.m Jun 27, 1997 Eastern

 WASHINGTON, June 27 (Reuter) - The United States on Friday
 denounced as ``outrageous'' a Burmese charge that Washington was
 plotting with opposition groups to carry out anti-government attacks.

 ``That charge is obviously outrageous,'' State Department
 spokesman John Dinger told a regular news briefing.

 He said Burma's ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council, in
 making the claim, might be trying to divert attention from its ``terrible
 record of abusing the human rights of its own citizens.''

 Earlier Friday in Rangoon, a SLORC spokesman told a news
 conference that two Americans he alleged were undercover U.S.
 agents had given Aung San Suu Kyi, head of the opposition National
 League for Democracy, $85,200 ``to stir up unrest to disturb the
 peace.''

 ``The United States has suffered very much from terrorist acts, both
 at home and abroad, against its citizens,'' Dinger said. ``We are a
 leader in the international fight against terrorism. And I absolutely
 reject that sort of charge, categorically.'' ^REUTER@