8.8.88 in Canberra, Australia

We had a successful and peaceful demonstration outside the Burmese embasy in
Canberra, Australia on 8.8.94, between 10:30am and 1.30pm on a cold (8 deg cel)
winters day.

Over 100 people (mostly Burmese) with banners shouting things that I
could not understand, but I guess it was Free ASSK and down with SLORC etc.
People traveled from Sydney and Melbourne to attend.

The crowd was addressed be several politicians, the chairman of the ABC
(Australia-Burma Council) and several newly arrived students from the
Thai-Burmese boarder.

A wreath was layed at the gate of the embassy, under a sign reading "Lest
we forget 8.8.88". The guest speakers and many of the crowd layed single
red roses. The "last post" was played by a bugleman (An Australian
tradition).

A lot press attended, and stories were run in all media, TV, radio and
papers, on 8.8.94 and 9.8.94.

-END TEXT-